How to build a sleeping platform? A sleeping platform is a great way to save space and money. It can be an alternative to a bed, sofa, or futon.
Sleeping platforms are also multifunctional and can be used for seating and storage. Building one of these could take as little as two hours with the right materials!
If you’re a camper or backpacker, you know that sleeping on the ground can be uncomfortable.
You might find yourself waking up in the middle of the night because your back is sore, and it’s hard to get comfortable enough to fall asleep again.
Sleeping platforms are an easy fix for this problem; they elevate your body off the ground, making it easier to sleep all night comfortably long!
How To Build A Sleeping Platform?
There are many reasons why people might want to build a sleeping platform. Perhaps they have an air mattress that doesn’t inflate all the way, or they don’t like their bed and would rather sleep on a more comfortable surface.
Whatever your reason, this article will show you how to make a sturdy platform in a few easy steps.
1. 2x4s – You’ll need about 34 feet of them for this project. These boards will be used to frame the sleeping platform and provide a strong foundation for your mattress or futon to rest on. For every 3ft length board, you’ll want to get a half board that is 2ft long. This way, the boards fit together and create a strong base for your platform.
2. Plywood – Half of a 4’x8′ sheet will be enough to cover the whole platform with some leftover.
3. Wood screws – At least 1 inch long, they go through the 2x4s and into the plywood.
7. Tape measure
8. Saw – You’ll need this to cut the boards to the correct length
9. Sandpaper – For smoothing rough edges of boards
10. Polyurethane – For sealing the platform and protecting it from wear and tear
11. Screws for attaching the plywood to the 2x4s
12. Power drill – This makes working with screws much easier! But you can get by without one if you don’t have one available.
13. Drill bit for making pilot holes
14. Circular saw – This is used as an alternate option to a hand saw, such as when you need to make deeper cuts than the regular saw allows.
1. Decide how big your platform is and cut the boards accordingly. For a twin bed size platform, you’ll need two 2×4 boards that are 33 inches long and two that are 30 inches long.
You will also need one board that is 24 inches long and two that are 22 inches long. The extra length on the longer boards is so that they can be cut to size and fit together like a puzzle.
2. Lay all of the 2×4 boards on top of one another so they are parallel, and connect them by screwing in two 1″ screws at both ends of each board.
Use a drill to make the holes for the screws about half an inch away from either end of the board. Drill through just one side of the board into the next one.
The screws should be long enough to go all the way through both boards.
3. Cut the plywood to size so it will cover the frame you just made. It should be about 47″x79″.
4. Next, you’re going to attach the plywood to the frame by screwing through the boards into the plywood with 2″ screws.
Drill pilot holes for each one about half an inch away from each board corner and at least two inches deep into the plywood sheet.
This will ensure that your screws go into the plywood securely, so your platform isn’t flimsy.
5. Once all of the screws are in, flip over the platform and check to see if it is level by placing a level on top of it.
If it’s not completely even, you may need to adjust some of the boards by unscrewing them slightly until you get them to level.
6. If you want, sand the boards once they are attached to the plywood to take off any splinters or rough spots that might irritate your skin when you sleep on it or rest up against it.
You can also use wood stain or polyurethane to seal the boards and make them last longer.
7. Once you’ve cleaned up the boards, attach them to your bed frame or box spring in whatever way is most convenient for you.
You may need to cut them down to make sure they fit properly on your bed frame. Remember that the platform needs to rest on top of your bed frame, not inside it.
8. Once your platform is attached, put a mattress on top of it, and you’re all done! Now you have a durable, strong place to sleep or relax that looks great in any bedroom or living area. Enjoy your new DIY platform bed!
A platform bed is a great way to add extra storage or sleeping space to any bedroom. It can also be a great way to save money on a new mattress since you can use your current one on the platform.
Building your own platform bed is a relatively easy project that can be completed in just a few hours with basic tools and materials.
All you need is a power drill, circular saw, and screwdriver to get started. The most important part of the project is making sure that everything is level before attaching the boards.
Be sure to sand any rough edges or splinters off the boards before you finish the project. Once it’s all done, enjoy your new extra sleeping space.